The state of Kentucky doesn’t license security guards. As a result, any business which has an authentic business license can provide security officers in Kentucky. Keep in mind however, that each individual company has it’s own standards.
In order to be eligible for an armed security guard position in the state of Kentucky, the applicant must be associated with a registered agency or company and meet the following requirements:
- Must be over 21
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be of good moral character
- Should have passed the background check criteria
- Drug testing is also required
- The applicant must not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States military
- The applicant must not have been convicted of a felony
- The applicant must complete and sign application - fee of $25.00
- A completed and signed intent to hire from the company/agency is required
- The applicant must effectively conclude an accredited training course in such subjects as Legal basis for security and rights of security officers ; Basic law pertaining to criminal justice and the Kentucky Penal Code ; Firearms qualification; Fire prevention ; Crowd control, etc.
The training course must contribute towards the administration of a written exam along with qualification on the firing range.